2018-2019 ART IN PUBLIC PLACES
Art in Public Places (AIPP), now in its 11th year, is a featured presentation of Dogwood Arts. In partnership with the City of Knoxville, Art in Public Places Knoxville is a juried exhibition of large-scale sculptures created by exceptional local, regional and national artists. The 2018 Exhibition will feature up to twenty (20) sculptures. The selected works will be exhibited from April 2, 2018 to March 9, 2019. 2018 Online Application Available Now : Apply Here!
GUIDELINES & REQUIREMENTS
- The Art In Public Places Exhibition and Competition is open to artists 18 years of age or older residing in the US. Sculptors may enter three completed works (three views of each work for a total of nine images). All works entered must have been created in the last five years and not previously exhibited in AIPPK.
- Up to 20 works will be chosen for installation in Krutch Park, Knoxville Convention Center, Gay Street, McGhee Tyson Airport, and other prominent locations in downtown Knoxville.
- Work must be suitable for outdoor installation: a) must be capable of withstanding adverse weather conditions (high winds, below zero temperatures, snow storms); b) must withstand high traffic environment; c) should take into consideration the safety of the audience and d) artwork must be durable and require limited to no maintenance. Art must be installation-ready. Works presented in electronic media must be accompanied by appropriate audio and video equipment. The artwork must be able to withstand public interaction. Artist will accept responsibility for the loss or damage of their sculpture. Sculptures will be reviewed by AIPP Officials upon arrival and if the piece is deemed structurally unsound or misrepresented by the corresponding application photos, acceptance into the Exhibition and the artist stipend can be revoked.
- The AIPP Exhibition will open to the public beginning Friday, April 1, 2018. The artist is responsible for timely installation/removal of the artwork within scheduled dates. Any additional cost incurred by Dogwood Arts due to untimely installation/removal will be deducted from the 2nd installment of the artist stipend. Artwork that is accepted is subject to inspection and may be withheld from the exhibition at Dogwood Arts discretion. Dogwood Arts will provide equipment and assistance in securing the works on site. The artists are responsible for shipping and delivering the works to and from the installation site. Artists unable to meet the scheduled installation and removal requirements are not eligible.
- Dogwood Arts reserves the right to photograph and video any submitted work for documentary, educational, and publicity purposes.
- Receipt of the completed application form constitutes your agreement with all conditions established in the prospectus.
- If you are unable to be present or coordinate accordingly during the designated installation and de-installation dates, you will be 100% responsible for additional costs that may be incurred during an installation or de-installation outside AIPP’s schedule. Additional costs could include those resulting from crane rentals and road closures.
AWARDS & STIPENDS
$3,000: Best of Show
$2,000: 2nd Place
$1,000: 3rd Place
$1,000: People’s Choice Award
$500: Honorable Mention Award
In addition, all finalists whose works are installed will receive a stipend of $2,000 per sculpture—$1000 upon delivery to the site and $1000 upon removal*. The sculptures that are sold during the exhibition will be delivered by Dogwood Arts to the buyer at the close of the exhibition and there will not be a $1000 removal stipend awarded to artists on those sold sculptures. *If you are unable to make one of the scheduled dismantlement dates, you will be responsible for any fees associated with the dismantlement.
APPLICATION & FEE
Submit your application and pay the submission fee using the entry form below. We request a current resume and one paragraph artist statement. You are also required to upload photos, drawings or sketches showing materials used and the sculpture’s dimensions. Additionally, footing methods and installation requirements must be described and illustrated within your application. There is non-refundable entry fee is $35 per application.
JUROR & SELECTION: TO BE ANNOUNCED
SALES & COMMISSIONS
Artists may sell their work during the exhibition period. However, the work must remain on site for the duration of the exhibition. Every effort is made to promote sales. All sales are handled by Dogwood Arts. The commission split is 70/30, with 70% going to the artist and 30% donated to Dogwood Arts.
Call Dogwood Arts 865.637.4561 or email email@example.com
AIPP online application can not be saved; applicants must complete their application at the time of submission.